It is raining.
And I don't just mean a light Bay Area sprinkle. No, it is absolutely pouring outside. And it's freezing. Like if you breathe in too deeply your lungs will turn to ice. I know that after making the walk to my car, I will be completely drenched for the drive home.
And yet...
I love it. I don't know if it has to do with the fact that I will always be a Pacific Northwest girl at heart, so the rain is comforting and reminds me of home. Or maybe I'm just looking for a good excuse to curl up on my overstuffed couch with a steaming cup of hot chocolate and a good book, with the shades wide open so I can better hear the raindrops on the windowpanes. Either way, it doesn't matter.
I am so thankful for the changes in weather. Having lived in California for the past 12 years, I have definitely acclimated to the sunshine, but the rain and clouds remind me that there are seasons of life. Not every day can be exactly like you planned it. I love being able to wear sundresses and drink lemonade in the summer, but without the winter, would I enjoy it as much? And without the scorching heat of August, would I still appreciate the winter rains? God knows so much more than we do. The fact that he controls how many drops of rain fall to the ground and how many gusts the wind is allowed to blow amazes me. What a powerful God we serve!
Friday, February 17, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hey Abby,
I know what you mean. With California weather you never really learn to appreciate the summer, because it feels like summer all year long. It's actually been a wonderfully cold, cloudy, rainy day today, and I love it. I hope you're well, it'll be fun to hear about your life...
- Jessica (Ross)
Abby,
I am so enjoying your writing. Each entry has reminded me of unique moments in my life. Thank you for giving me a chance to reflect on those things that can so easily pass me by--like rain and the influence of a Dad.
Cherylyn
Post a Comment